Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Prophecy of the Sisters

Author: Michelle Zink
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other. (From Goodreads.com)



Hmmm, what to say about this one. Well, first of all, the setting. From reading the summary, I did not expect this to be taking place in the late 1800s to early 1900s time period. I thought it was present day, until they started talking all old and everyone was dressed in floor-length skirts. But I thought that the historical setting was really well done. I think it's pretty hard to do that, and Zink did it perfectly. I really felt like I was in that time period.

     I also really liked the imagery in the writing. I can picture perfectly the grand house the family lived in, and the cold gushing river that drowns people. I love when authors have good imagery, it makes it all the more real.

    The plot was very mysterious, and I was constantly guessing what was going to happen. It was like trying to fit together a puzzle. But that made the plot move very slowly, and it only picked up at the end. Also, I know this isn't a romance novel, but the main character did have a boyfriend from whom we heard like two sentences out of! Well, maybe I'm exhaggerating, but he was barely part of the book at all. If the plot is going to lag a little so that the plot will go smoother, then at least have some romance in there!

    Then, the cover. LOVE the cover. It's so... creepy and mysterious, which is the feeling of the whole book, so it's a perfect cover for the book. At first glance, you think the two statues are the same, but if you stare at it for a little, you realize that there are subtle differences in the faces, which the main character talks about. She and her sister are identical twins, but there are some small differences in their faces, and big differences in their personalities.

    If you really like fantasy, and don't mind there being no romance and the plot lagging a little, then this is the book for you. I enjoyed it, but it won't stand ou tto me when I think of my favorite reads this year so far.

By the way, check ou this website dedicated to this series! http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/features/prophecyofthesisters/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment