Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Deadly Little Secret

 Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Rating: 4/5 Stars
 Summary: Some secrets shouldn't be kept... Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.
Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret. (From Goodreads.com)

Review: I saw this in the bookstore, and knew I wanted to read it only because it had a pretty cover. I didn't even read what it was about. So I ordered it through my library and found out it was a mystery. I was pretty pleased with it, overall. The writing was good, the characters well-developed, and the story eerie.
    And let me tell you, was it creepy. It wasn't scary like a slasher movie is scary. But it was scary because all these weird stalker-y things kept happening to the main character. I was reading this late last night, and it was so creepy I got paranoid and was checking all the dark corners in my house. It was so chilling when the main character, Camelia, got a new note or package. But I haven't read a book that did that in a while, so it was refreshing.
     I also really liked how all the characters were so deep and well-developed. Camelia wasn't one of those airheads in horror movies. Although it was very stupid of her to not tell her parents or the police about her stalker. I did find Ben a little meh, though. He was a little lifeless. He had potential, because of his background story, but he just didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel the connection between him and Camelia.
     The ending was so unexpected! Everything happened so quick, and it was so thrilling! Also, the person who was behind it all, I didn't expect at all. Usually I'm good at picking out who the person is in a mystery, but not this time. Stolarz did a great job of hiding their identity,
    So, I really enjoyed this book, I just didn't LOVE it. If you are looking for a creepy, chilling, book, this is for you. Also it was a pretty quick read, so it was good it didn't drag when it didn't need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment