Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Revolution

Author: Jennifer Donnelly
 Rating: 5/5 Stars
 Summary: BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart. (From Goodreads.com)



Review: I really loved this book. I'm usually not a fan of historical fiction novels, because they can sometimes get really boring. Also, this is the first time I've learned about the French Revolution. In my school, we take a couple years of American History, the World Cultures, and Government. So we never learn about other MAJOR historical world events like this. (I know, annoying, right?) And this book made the French Revolution sooo interesting. Instead of from the standpoint of another country, like they teach in American schools, you get to experience the French Revolution from a poor girl who is hired by the royal family to be Louis-Charles's friend. And I think this was a really good thing, because you could see the corruption from all standpoints.
    The plotline was also unlike anything I've ever read, and believe me, I've read some pretty weird books. (Going Bovine, anybody?) I really loved the main character, Andi. And I think one of the reasons I really connected with her was because she was so different from the characters in the last book I read, Teenage Waistland. Compared to Andi, they were really shallow.
    One of the reasons this book was so unique, was because about three quarters through the book, it turned into a (drug) trip of Andi's. Or was it? Anyway, it kinda of changed to its own made-up genre at that part, and I loved it.
    Another reason why I loved this book was because it was so emotional. At one point I was on the verge of tears. And some people I know won't pick up a good book if it's sad. Well, this wasn't depressing, but it was just... I don't know. But if you're one of those people, just try it, please! It was so deep, and it was refreshing after all of the non-emotional books I've been reading lately.
    Also, if you are on the young end of your teenage years, I would wait a little if you want to read this. I know I definitely would have not gotten as much out of it as I did a year or two ago. It's quite the beast of a book, but that's not really the reason, though it is a little intimidating. I said that because you really should have some experience analyzing literature, and the ability to pick out literary devices, like symbolism, and the ability to connect things. Even if you don't like to analyze books in school, and would rather just enjoy the story, I really think it makes this book a lot better. It makes the story that much better. The writing alone was beautiful, and it really was art the way the stories were woven into each other.
    So, I really think that most people will really enjoy this book a lot, even if you are a little hesitant to read some historical fiction for fear of being bored. You really should pick this one up. You won't regret it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment