Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Lonely Hearts Club

Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...


     This was such a cute book! I'm a huge fan of The Beatles, and this book was constantly referencing them, hence the title. The main character and her sisters were even named after Beatles songs. There was also little snippets of lyrics in the beginnings of the chapters to set the theme, which was also pretty awesome.
     This was the first book I've read by this author, and I have to say, the writing style wasn't very unique. I couldn't hear a voice or personality like I can with some other authors. Also, it took awhile to get into. The beginning was a little boring. Before the plot really got rolling, I found myself thinking "Who cares?" to some of the things happening. But about 50 pages in, I started getting into it, and found I had finished it before I knew it. It wasn't a very long read, which was good, because there wasn't much you could do with the plot after awhile. I hate when in books, it just drags on, and you find yourself checking how many pages you have left, or feeling like everything was nicely tying up and everything was getting resolved, but then you have five more chapters! I hate that.
      I really did like the idea for this book, though. The club seems like it would be so much fun to be a part of. Like a big hunka sisterly love. I really liked the relationships between all the girls, and between Penny and her sister, Rita. It was a new thing to me because I only have a brother. But I don't know, I just really liked all the love between everyone. Even the relationship between Penny and her parents was pretty cool. Sometimes in books the main character has a bad relationship with their parents, and makes them out to be such horrible people, when they're just a little angsty. Her parents were huge Beatles fanatics, always spurting out quirky things.
     So, if you are in the mood for a cute little fluff book, or are just a Beatles fan like me, then this is the book for you. This is for fans of realistic fiction cutsy-wootsy books.

No comments:

Post a Comment