Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Soul To Take

Author: Rachel Vincent
Rating: 4/5 Stars
 Summary:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.




    I've really been looking forward to reading this series. This is the first book, and it's been out for awhile, I just never got around to reading it. And it was so good! The concept of the soul screamers was really unique. This doesn't really follow the paranormal creature trend in YA. You know, first it was vampires, then werewolves, then angels. I really hope the next trend is mermaids or selkies, because those are my favorite! I love reading them in summer at the beach. But anyway, I didn't know any banshee lore or stories before reading this, and I also really liked how the grim reapers were thrown in there too.
     Even though there was nothing really special about Vincent's writing style, I still liked the way she made the plot play out, and the characters develop. There was never really a boring part; I was always kept interested in the story whether it was the main character, Kaylee, trying to find answers, the romance between her and Nash, or watching the next victim get attacked by the unseen killer. A lot of the problems were cleared up at the end, and I'm interested to see what will be going on in the next couple of books.
     In this book, I actually liked most of the characters. Kaylee was strong-willed and stood up for herself, which I liked. I hate when characters are weak, or don't have a spine and let people push them around. I also really liked her friend. She was really fun and supportive. The love interest, Nash, was not fantastic for me, but he wasn't bad. I was kind of suspicious of him at first, but he grew on me. But surprisingly, my favorite character was Tod, the reaper helping them. He was so angsty and mysterious, but I loved him. The only thing that really bothered me about the characters was that Kaylee didn't eat. She would always say "I could only pick at my food" or "I lost my appetite". It was so annoying! The girl never ate! And the thing was, she talked about one of the cheerleaders passing out because she "didn't eat enough to keep a hamster alive."
     So if you're looking for a quick read that you can keep coming back to in other books, this is the series for you. Good for lovers of paranormal romance, who doesn't want to read another vampire book.

No comments:

Post a Comment