Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ranting

So, in my Language Arts class we're reading A Separate Peace by John Knowles, and I need somewhere to rant about it. Since my teacher is close-minded and thinks we're wrong if we don't have the same opinions as her on all the books we read, it's hard to discuss things in class. So anyway, I'm about three quarters done with it, and at first it was fine. Although I thought it was a little too descriptive. It went on about things that didn't move the plot forward. But the thing that really bothers me about this book is Gene and Finny, the two main characters. First of all, Gene is a total nut-nut! He is so paranoid that everyone is out to get him, and it's like THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND YOU, GENE. He is also really arrogant, which is one of the most annoying qualities in a person, in my opinion. Then, Finny. Oh, Phineas. How I hate you. (By the way, this book takes place in the middle of WWII.) Finny is convinced that there is no war on. That is just so insulting! Millions of innocent people died in the Holocaust, and he thinks it's all fake! ARRGGHH. Anyway, I don't even know why I'm posting this because you guys don't care. Oh, well. I feel better now. I'm a very picky person about my quality literature that is required reading in my school. My favorite books that were required reading are To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I wish Atticus was MY dad.) and Slaughter-House Five by Kurt Vonnegut. (I think it's so awesome that this book is required reading. It's on soo many banned books lists, just because it talks about some trippy alien stuff and mentions the f-word a few hundred times.) But I guess my school board is just really liberal. But last year we had to read The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, and it was really good writing, I just really despised Holden Caulfield. He thought everything was so PHONY. Well, you know what I think? I THINK YOU ARE A PHONY HYPOCRITE, HOLDEN. Does anyone else feel the same way about these characters as I do? What is required reading in your schools? Do you also wish Atticus Finch was your dad? Okay, rant over. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment