Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Anatomy of Wings

Author: Karen Foxlee
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: Ten-year-old Jennifer Day lives in a small mining town full of secrets. Trying to make sense of the sudden death of her teenage sister, Beth, she looks to the adult world around her for answers.

As she recounts the final months of Beth’s life, Jennifer sifts through the lies and the truth, but what she finds are mysteries, miracles, and more questions. Was Beth’s death an accident? Why couldn’t Jennifer—or anyone else—save her?

Through Jennifer’s eyes, we see one girl’s failure to cross the threshold into adulthood as her family slowly falls apart.
(From Hardcover edition)



Review: I LOVED this book. I read it about a year and a half ago, but it was one of those books that I still remember perfectly and reflect back on. I was about a girl in a small mining town, whose older sister Beth, dies. She and her friend find a box of things that Beth left behind, and from those things, try to piece back the mystery that led up to Beth's death. In one of the flashbacks that the main character Jennifer talks about, her older sister faints unexpectedly, and sees something divine that changes her. I didn't really understand this part when I was reading it, but as I've gotten more experience analyzing literature, I somewhat understand more of the things that happened in this book.
    I have also come to appreciate the writing of this book much more. The writing is absolutely beautiful, especially the imagery. Some of the parts of the book are a bit graphic for younger readers, like some of the things that Beth does with her friends and boyfriend, but even during those parts, I still loved the writing style.
    My favorite part of the book was at the end, during the storm in the school, but I don't want to give anything away. Also when I first read this book, I didn't know how to detect things like recurring theme and indirect metaphors, so I didn't get the whole thing about wings, which now that I understand, I love this book even more. I definitely think that everyone should read this book, if they can handle the graphic parts and have had enough experience reading difficult books and can detect the themes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment