Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Blue So Dark

Author: Holly Schindler
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Summary: Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears. (From Goodreads.com)


Review: I was really intrigued by the plot of this book, because I'm fascinated by Schizophrenia (I know it's weird). I also love characters in books that are artists or very creative, because mpst of the people in my life are like that. Anyway, I thought it was a really good idea for a book. Also, other reviews of this book said that the writing was wonderful and they are going to read all of Schindler's other books. But I don't really agree. I definitely thought that the style was unique, but it wasn't engaging. Usually I can read a medium sized book in a few days, but I felt like I was reading this book for weeks. It was boring. 
    As for the plot, nothing exciting or surprising really happened. The mom just got worse because she wasn't taking her meds and did some pretty crazy things. Also, Aura wasn't really a good main character as far as main characters go. I understand that she was under extreme stress, but she was NOT making smart decisions, and she was kind of frustrating because of it. She could have avoided sooo much if she had just make a couple smart moves. 
    It was interesting to learn all about Schizophrenia and many of the famous artists with the illness. At every chapter, there was a little note talking about the correlation between Schizophrenia and creative and talented people. 
    Overall, I was a little disappointed with this book, but maybe my expectations were too high. But isn't that cover beeeeeauuuutiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment