Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Slice of Cherry

Author: Dia Reeves
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities…. (From Goodreads.com)

Review: So this book has to be one of the weirdest books I've ever read, aside from Going Bovine by Libba Bray. I have no idea how the author created this town and characters. But this was a good thing as I like out-there books.
    Okay, so this book was not like other books in terms of literary devices, either. One of the motifs in this book is growing up (I know weird right? I totally didn't expect it from the summary). I love books that are deeper than just the story and actually have themes and references. I really liked Reeves's writing style and techniques.
     Some parts of this book were kind of gross, because of all the bloody scenes that the main characters cause. But I didn't really mind as it kept the pace of the book going. It took me about a week to read this, which is really slow for me, but I don't know why because there weren't really any boring spots. Most of the things happening are intriguing, strange, and interesting at the same time.
    As for the main characters, Kit and Fancy, I liked them at first. I liked how they were loyal to each other, and also, they were so intriguing because of their "need to kill". Though I couldn't relate to them at all, partly because they were murderers and partly because they were so clingy! Fancy got jealous of and almost killed her sister's new boyfriend because she wanted Kit to spend all of her time with her. 

    But I really liked the setting of this book. I didn't read the author's first book, Bleeding Violet, also set in Portero, so I didn't know what to expect. But let me tell you it was weird. Like something out of a dream, or in this case, a nightmare. Randomly there would be a monster coming out of the ground and all the townspeople would go about their business as usual. They were so nonchalant about all the weird stuff! But I kind of liked that aspect. It wasn't necessary be freak out and make everything dramatic with something that didn't even contribute to the story. Also, reading the summary you might think that Kit and Fancy are freaks and everyone else is normal, like the real world. But no, weird happenings and gore was normal in this town. Everyone was a little cuckoo. In a good way.
    If you like interesting plots and characters, this is the book for you, but I don't know, there was just something missing, I think. Maybe it was the absolute no emotions from anyone. But it was still a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment