Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nightshade

Author: Andrea Cremer
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Summary: Calla Tor has always known her destiny:
After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates the master's laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything--including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Review: So originally when I heard about this book, I thought it'd just be another romance with werewolves. But it got such good reviews, and the cover was pretty, and it's got those awesome pages that are torn and uneven on the side... so I decided to buy it. I even read the first chapter on the store to make sure I would like it. And I really liked the first chapter. But it got worse from there.
    I really liked Calla's character and her world of wolves in the forest. I also really liked her fiancee Ren. But once she started falling for the human boy Shay, I became quickly annoyed. I HATED Shay. He is so ignorant and would not stop insulting her way of life and her pack and family. Yet she seemed to like it. He also kept pressuring her to do things she didn't want to do and wasn't supposed to do. And it got her in trouble. Yet she still liked him. By the middle of the book, it was a love triangle. She loved both Ren and Shay and they both loved her. I also knew which one she would choose from the beginning. SPOILER ALERT: In love triangles, characters always go with the person that I hate, no matter what. It's like they knew my opinion and went opposite of it. That way I can always predict who gets chosen in the end. MOCKINGJAY SPOILER ALERT: In Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, I knew Katniss would go with Peeta because I hated Peeta with a passion and was in love with Gale. SPOILER ALERT OVER.
    But I liked the plot overall, and the dynamics of the pack, and the way the story played out. Cremer has a good writing style which grabbed me at the beginning and kept me interested throughout the book, which was good. Really the only thing I didn't like about the book was Shay and the romance between Shay and Calla. From other reviews where I hated the love interest, you might think that I don;t like any of the love interests in books, but that's not true. I love Sam from the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I love Kartik from the A Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray. I love a lot of the love interests. Just not the ones from books lately. But hopefully that little hating rut will disappear as I am about to read The Lost Saint by Bree Despain, and I love Daniel. So overall, it was a pretty good book, and it deserved those good reviews I read, and I understand why it got them. Probably a lot of other girls who read this were swooning over him, but I guess he just wasn't the character for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment